1. What prompted you to choose a paralegal career? I knew it would be a challenging and rewarding career.
2. What is your favorite part of your job? Each case is unique. I constantly have to educate myself in different areas in which we represent our clients. I have worked on cases involving the automotive industry, telecommunications, hospitals, universities, complex construction, railroads, and landfills just to name a few areas.
3. What professional associations do you belong to? Association of Litigation Support Professionals (ALSP), Grand Valley State University Legal Studies Advisory Board, Grand Rapids Bar Association - Paralegal Section, and the State Bar of Michigan - Legal Assistant Section.
4. What has been the highlight of your career? There have been a few highlights, but the most memorable would be working on a case that spanned five years and arbitration took place over the course of nine months in a city over 200 miles away from where I work. The Plaintiff was seeking $19 million and the arbitration panel concluded that our client was not liable to the Plaintiff for any damages.
5. What do you see as hot trends in the paralegal industry? e-Discovery; it is ever evolving in the courts and in our everyday practice.
6. If someone contemplating a paralegal career asked you for career advice, what would your answer be? Have confidence in yourself; never be afraid to ask questions or make suggestions; do your best to keep up with technology.
7. You've enjoyed a successful paralegal career. To what single event or person do you attribute that success? There isn't just one person: my grandfather was a Circuit Court judge from whom I learned a lot from his example; my mom for her encouragement; and the clients, expert witnesses, and attorneys I have worked with during my career.
8. What is the best live concert you’ve ever attended? Rolling Stones, August 2005 at Comerica Park - home of the Detroit Tigers!
9. What’s your favorite food? Wine and cheese
10. What’s your favorite vacation getaway? Charlevoix, Michigan
11. If you could not be a paralegal, what would be your dream job? Movie Soundtrack Producer
12. Strangest thing you ever ate? Rattlesnake
13. You've been given the chance to have dinner with anyone living or dead. Who is it? It would have to be a table for eight and a seven course meal with Jesus, Michelangello, Benjamin Franklin, Abraham Lincoln, Mother Theresa, Jacqueline Kennedy, and Condoleezza Rice.
Bonus Question: Is there a song lyric that best describes you or your philosophy on life? Don't give up until you drink from the silver cup, you never know until you try.