Chicken & Pasta Salad
- 10 small red potatoes
- olive or salad oil
- 1 c. penne or corkscrew macaroni, cooked per package directions (1/4 of a 16 oz. package)
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1" wide strips
- black pepper
- 1 medium-size lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 medium-size plum tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges
- 1 bunch arugula, coarsely chopped (1 cup) or 1/2 cup watercress, coarsely chopped (Note: I use fresh baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, crumbled (1 cup) or 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (I use only feta cheese
2. Meanwhile, in saucepot, prepare macaroni as label directs, without using salt in water; drain.
3. In a nonstick 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 1 tablespoon hot olive or salad oil, cook chicken, sprinkling with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir occasionally until chicken is tender and loses its pink color throughout.
4. From lemon, grate peel and squeeze tablespoons juice...no need to measure as one lemon will give you about 2 tablespoons. In large bowl, with wire whisk or fork, mix lemon peel and juice, sugar, 1 tablespoons olive or salad oil, 2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
5. To bowl with lemon dressing, add roasted potatoes, macaroni, chicken, tomato wedges, arugula, olives, and feta cheese; toss to coat well.
6. To serve, arrange chicken salad on platter. Cover and refrigerate if not serving right away. Serves 6.
Note: This sounds difficult and time consuming but really isn't. Bake the potatoes while you boil the pasta. While these are cooking, mix the dressing in a large bowl. Use as much of a rotisserie chicken as you want. Complete your meal with fresh bread and a nice red wine.