Patrick J. Sweis is a legal assistant with Luce Forward in San Diego, CA. He earned an AA Degree in legal assisting from Miramar College where his favorite course was legal research.
Working as a paralegal is a family affair. Patrick's daughter, Gayle S. Bennett, CLA, is with The Gray Law Firm in Tacoma WA.
As much as Patrick loves his day job, he's probably happiest on stage performing with the San Diego Opera. He's just wrapped up Turandot. Of course his favorite music is jazz and opera and you'll find him listening to Nessun Dorma from Turandot on his iPod.
You'll enjoy Patrick's answers to the Paralegal Mentor's Thirteen Questions where he shares his insight into the paralegal profession.
1. What prompted you to choose a paralegal career? I always wanted to be an attorney
2. What is your favorite part of your job? Putting the pieces together for a successful project
3. What do you see as hot trends in the paralegal industry? That would definitely be eDiscovery and Litigation support
4. If someone contemplating a paralegal career asked you for career advice, what would your answer be? Learn everything and anything in the Paralegal profession. I started out as a file clerk and took everything in that I could to learn about the ins and outs of a law firm.
5. You've enjoyed a successful paralegal career. To what single event or person do you attribute that success? Definitely Ron Bryuere, Litigation Support Manager for our firm. We were on a project together and I wasn't really involved but he gave me some responsibility for the project and let me run with it.
6. What advice would you give yourself if you met you as a first-year paralegal? Don't take no for an answer.
7. What is the best live concert you've ever attended? Rolling Stones in 1973 in Philadelphia. I was the bus driver for the group for the whole day. Followed them everywhere that day.
8. What sports team are you passionate about? Any team from Philadelphia
9. If you could not be a paralegal, what would be your dream job? Sportscaster.
10. What is the one thing you wish you were better at? Saying no at work.
11. What scares you the most? High places and opening night.
12. What was your first car? A 1957 Ford. What's your dream car? One that's paid for!
13. Is there one thing in the world you wish you had the answer to? How to go back in time. I'd go back to 50's and learn more about my family.
Bonus Question: You've been given the chance to have dinner with anyone living or dead. Who is it? My father (he died when I was 3 years old).
Thanks for visiting! Use the RSS feed or e-mail subscription to keep up to date on what's happening on this site. Check back soon for more great information for paralegals and other professionals.
The Paralegal Mentor email@example.com
Vicki Voisin, The Paralegal Mentor, delivers simple strategies for paralegals and other professionals to create success and satisfaction by achieving goals and determining the direction they will take their careers. Vicki spotlights resources, organizational tips, ethics issues, and other areas of continuing education to help legal professionals reach their full potential. She publishes a bi-weekly ezine titled Strategies for Paralegals Seeking Excellence. More information is available at www.paralegalmentor.com
Let's Get Ethical...Let's Get Technical has been approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit. This course focuses on complex ethics issues faced by legal professionals...attorneys, paralegals, legal assistants, and other legal support professionals...as they deal with technology in the work place. (http://snipurl.com/s72vk)
A Blueprint For Your Job Search in Today's Digital World is an entertaining and informative course that includes a digital download and comprehensive handout that explains in detail... * How to set goals for your job search * How to find your ideal job * How to write perfect cover letters * How to answer those tricky interview questions * How to use job search sites and social media (http://snipurl.com/rqmf9)
Paralegal Mentor Events & Appearances
Put some of your life on auto-pilot...join the Paralegal Mentor Inner Circle...it's free! Members will automatically receive each issue of Paralegal Strategies and be registered for each Mastermind call (you'll receive the recording, too) AND there will be discounts and freebies for members throughout the year. Go here to get your name on the list.