Nancy L. Jordahl, CP, FRP is a paralegal with Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell, PA in Orlando, FL. She has a Bachelor's Degree in Russian Studies from Stetson University and graduated with honors from the Rollins College Paralegal Studies Program.
1. What prompted you to choose a paralegal career? I was working as a retail manager for Camelot Music and got fed up of the way I was being treated by some of the customers. So I took a test in a career aptitude book and it said I would be a good paralegal.
2. Do you specialize in any particular area of the law? Breach of Warranty, Insurance Defense, and Corporate Defense.
3. What is your favorite part of your job? Going to trial.
4. What professional associations do you belong to? National Association of Legal Assistants (NALA), Central Florida Paralegal Association, Inc. (CFPA), Florida Bar Registered Paralegal and Orange County Bar Association Paralegal Section.
I also serve on the Advisory Board for the paralegal program for Keiser University in Orlando. 5. How has your membership benefited you? In many ways but I consider the most important to be friendship and networking.
6. What has been the highlight of your career? Being named Paralegal of the Year by the Central Florida Paralegal Association in 2010.
7. What do you see as hot trends in the paralegal industry? Electronic discovery.
8. If someone contemplating a paralegal career asked you for career advice, what would you tell them? You have to want to work hard and be self-motivated. This is not a job for people that want to goof off all day at work.
9. Is there a quote that inspires you? "Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature. It will never fail you." Frank Lloyd Wright
10. You've enjoyed a successful paralegal career. To what single event or person do you attribute that success? Me for working hard and not giving up when things get tough and my parents for their work ethic.
11. What is the most important step a paralegal can take to keep his or her career interesting? Be involved in professional organizations and keep on learning. I also think you shouldn't be afraid to ask your attorneys in your office for different challenges.
12. What was your first job? Babysitting. I say that is the reason I never had children.
13. What is the one thing you wish you were better at? I wish I was better at communicating my thoughts to others. It is something I really struggle with.
Bonus - Just for Fun Question: What was the riskiest thing you ever did? The riskiest thing I ever did was...ride a bike (not my own) back to the place I was staying in the outskirts of New Orleans from downtown New Orleans on Fat Tuesday.
Thanks for visiting! Use the RSS feed or e-mail subscription to keep up to date on what's happening on this site. Check back soon for more great information for paralegals and other professionals.
The Paralegal Mentor email@example.com
Vicki Voisin, The Paralegal Mentor, delivers simple strategies for paralegals and other professionals to create success and satisfaction by achieving goals and determining the direction they will take their careers. Vicki spotlights resources, organizational tips, ethics issues, and other areas of continuing education to help legal professionals reach their full potential. She publishes a bi-weekly ezine titled Strategies for Paralegals Seeking Excellence. More information is available at www.paralegalmentor.com
Let's Get Ethical...Let's Get Technical has been approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit. This course focuses on complex ethics issues faced by legal professionals...attorneys, paralegals, legal assistants, and other legal support professionals...as they deal with technology in the work place. (http://snipurl.com/s72vk)
A Blueprint For Your Job Search in Today's Digital World is an entertaining and informative course that includes a digital download and comprehensive handout that explains in detail... * How to set goals for your job search * How to find your ideal job * How to write perfect cover letters * How to answer those tricky interview questions * How to use job search sites and social media (http://snipurl.com/rqmf9)
Paralegal Mentor Events & Appearances
Put some of your life on auto-pilot...join the Paralegal Mentor Inner Circle...it's free! Members will automatically receive each issue of Paralegal Strategies and be registered for each Mastermind call (you'll receive the recording, too) AND there will be discounts and freebies for members throughout the year. Go here to get your name on the list.