The Don and I have just returned from our small town 4th of July Parade that featured a moving rendition of the first and last stanzas of "The Star Spangled Banner" sung in the park on what can only be described as a dazzling summer day.
The sun danced on Round Lake and everyone joined in singing America the Beautiful.
Holidays are good for reflection. It's really one of the few times when my attention isn't pulled in 1000 directions so there's space in my mind for thoughts other than "What's next?" I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I appreciate most here in the U.S.
Here are 10 things that make me so proud to be an American:
- Freedom of speech and to choose our individual lifestyles
- Our founding fathers and their foresight
- The many beautiful National Parks
- American ingenuity and fortitude
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Members of the American armed services
- Country music
- American cuisine (especially cherry pie and hamburgers)
- The national monuments in Washington, DC
- The ability to travel freely and to enjoy this country's great beauty